Wednesday, May 27

School.....

Well turns out there is a position available at my school after all. Thing is there's no guarantee its mine. It's a science, math, physics, forensics position. You're probably thinking that it sounds an awful lot like my current position. We'll it is. I still have to reapply for it and I'll probably have to interview for it and compete with other people both at my school and elsewhere. I've got a pretty good chance because of my background, but I'm trying not to get too excited because it's not a sure thing. I hate this, I go from being really happy to depressed in the span of a day. I can't wait until this is over.

On Monday my physics 20's had a project due that they've been working on for a week or so now. A paper roller coaster for marbles! I got the idea for the project from here. I modified it a bit so my students also had to do an analysis of the forces and energy involved so it wasn't all fun and games.
They had a blast with it and totally exceeded my expectations. Here are some pictures of a few of them.
Wilderness Express

Hogwarts Express

Losing Altitude (my favourite...it glows in the dark)

Crash Landing

The Batenator

Note that you can't actually see any faces so I'm not breaking any FOIP rules.

Jon comes home from his conference in Hamilton. I'm looking forward too it because its lonely here by myself.

3 comments:

MommaBear said...

I just don't get it. They had another position a lot like the one you had, which they (I'm assuming) abolished. Common sense would suggest that if you know someone, and by know I mean you know their skills, see that they are successful in engaging their students, and generally qualified for the position, that you would slot them into this other position. Why risk losing a capable teacher, when you could end up with a real dud? Old Sleep Stan was the original dud. Does the teachers union have anything to do with what happened to you and your job? Because, I have to say, this reeks of union to me. We aren't real big supporters of unions in our home. We've both seen to much crap been promoted on the backs of those who actually do the work.

Nicole said...

No...the union has absolutely nothing to do with it. What most people don't understand is that there's 3 levels of contracts for teachers. temp, prob and continuous. I'm currently on temp because I am still covering for a mat leave. That means that I'm at the bottom of the pile and the first to be cut if necessary.
You have to be on probationary for at least a year to qualify for a continuous contract. A continuous contract is equivalent to tenure.
The majority of the public has no idea how much work it is for a teacher to get a permanent job.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.